I love seeing all the pictures from the photo booth at our Holly Jolly Sunday this past weekend! You guys really stepped up your game this year with some awesome Christmas attire! I am already plotting what I will wear next year. If you haven't downloaded your picture yet go here to do so.
This time of year, from the fourth Sunday before Christmas until Christmas Day, has been traditionally called "Advent". Advent is from a Latin word meaning "coming" or "arrival". It is a time to reflect and celebrate the first coming of Jesus while anticipating His second coming. There are many ways to celebrate Advent from lighting a candle every week to remind us of part of His coming, to having a calendar where each day of the month you have a "window" you open increasing your expectancy of celebrating His birth on Christmas Day. There is nothing in the scripture that says to do any of this, our call is to worship Jesus, but Advent can be a tool to focus our minds' attention and hearts' affection on Christ and not get too caught up in the commercialism of the season.
This year I am reading an Advent devotional called "Come Let us Adore Him" by Paul David Tripp and so far I am loving it, but then again Tripp is one of my favorite authors. For my kids we have used different things over the years to help us focus on Jesus, but the last few years we have used the "Star From Afar" resource. This has been a fun resource and something all ages can get into.
I mentioned Sunday I would give you a list of resources to look at so that you might take some time this season to reflect and celebrate the coming of Jesus into the world. You will find that list below.
May this Advent season be filled with His True Light!
I'll see you Sunday for week two of "The True Light".
P.S. - Remember our two ways that we can make a difference this season:
- The True Light Offering (End of Year Giving) - God has done so much this year and we know there are more people to reach with life-giving message of the gospel. Your generosity fuels our efforts to make growing followers of Jesus Christ here and around the world. Please be praying about what God might have you give in this season.
- Christmas in Fort Bend's website is live! Go here and get free tickets for you and your friends today! 10% of the tickets were already gone by the end of Sunday! Share the recording of "Christmas Time is Here" with everyone! We have some invite kits left if you missed getting one Sunday or if you have run out of cards already. Remember to wear your shirts as you do your shopping, invite any and every one and pray that God does something truly remarkable in people's lives.
- The Dawning of Indestructible Joy: Daily Readings for Advent by John Piper
- Good News of Great Joy: Daily Readings for Advent by John Piper
- Come, Let Us Adore Him: A Daily Advent Devotional by Paul Tripp
- Waiting Here For You: An Advent Journey Of Hope by Louie Giglio
- Hidden Christmas: The Surprising Truth Behind the Birth of Christ by Tim Keller
- From Heaven: A 28-Day Advent Devotional by A.W Tozer
- God Is in the Manger: Reflections on Advent and Christmas by Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Come, Thou Long-Expected Jesus: Experiencing the Peace and Promise of Christmas by Nancy Guthrie
Families with Children (5th Grade and Younger)
- The Christmas Story by Autumn Ward
- Everyday Emmanuel: Making the Most of Christmas for Busy Families by Phil Vischer
- Unwrapping the Greatest Gift: A Family Celebration of Christmas by Ann Voskamp
- The Christmas Promise Advent Calendar by Catalina Echeverri
- The Star From Afar
THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW!
SERMON SERIES I THE TRUE LIGHT
You may be familiar with the baby in the manager, but have you met the Word, who was in the beginning with God? Have you met “The True Light” who is full of grace and truth? Or the Cosmic Lord, who won the right for people to become children of God? They are one and the same person. Join Crossbridge Church for an encouraging series and get ready for a Christmas infused with new meaning and light.
Christmas in Fort Bend | December 23 & 24
Our Christmas in Fort Bend experiences are set and are now available. Go HERE for tickets and to register for childcare (available by reservation). Our dates and times are: Dec. 23 at 5 PM & Dec. 24 at 11 AM, 1 PM, and 3 PM. You do not want to miss this time of music and inspiration.
“The True Light Offering” End of Year Giving
God has used your generosity all year to help make growing followers of Jesus at Crossbridge Church! As 2017 ends, pray and ask God what you might give to continue spreading “The True Light” of Jesus Christ to our world.
- No services Sunday December 31st.
- We will have a special resource to use as we end 2017 and prepare for 21 Days of Prayer and Fasting in January.
- Join us as we kick off 2018 with a brand-new series "HOLY HABITS" as services resume Sunday January 7th at 8:30, 10:00 & 11:30.
NEXT STEPS: WHAT'S YOURS? | December 10
God has an incredible purpose for your life, and Next Steps is designed to help you connect with that purpose. You will spend two sessions looking at what it means to be a growing follower of Jesus that knows God, grows together and makes a difference with your life. Visit HERE for more information and to register.
DECEMBER PRAYER POINTS
Access your copy of the December 2017 Prayer Points HERE!